Pick a HASHTAG word, expression. phrase. term. IN ANY LANGUAGE to COMMENT, an adjective, adverb. verb, expression, definition ,terminology. phrase,or precis A '#Perfect' ; '#Precise' ;'#Poignant' ; '#Phraseology' '#Polite'; ' #Precis'; '#Proverb' ANY LANGUAGE , Be creative, not TASTELESS.(Translate if need be) PICK-A- POSTING of your CHOICE and SHARE Your View with A "word, adjective, adverb. verb, expression, definition , phrase, precis hashtag to COMMENT or REACT.
Google
\
Opinion

Friday, June 21, 2013

Xen Stringed Instruments: Multiscale 6/7/8/9/10-Stringed Guitars - Page 4 - The Gear Page

Xen Stringed Instruments: Multiscale 6/7/8/9/10-Stringed Guitars - Page 4 - The Gear Page:

Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM
Silver Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 348
Okay, I started a thread on my Sankey headless 7-string. Seems apropos to the topic of conversation here.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...0#post15756450
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM
Jim Soloway's Avatar
Gold Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Vancouver BC
Posts: 8,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Effren View Post
They all look good, really. The double cut walnut top would be my singular choice.

Speakeing of tone chambers in these type of guitars, here is a beautiful headless with a rather attractive soundhole. Also sporting a Rick Toone Trapezoidal Neck Profile.




Mike Sankey is actually building me a 7-string headless now. I've been meaning to post it but been kind of busy. I'll post a link shortly.
VERY nice. Is that neck shape based Rick Toone's concept and how does it feel to you?
__________________
My new CD is available as a download at Bandcamp.com http://jimsoloway.bandcamp.com/album/bare-handed
The Soloway Guitars web site http://www.solowayguitars.com/
I endorse, play and love GHS Brite Flat strings.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM
Silver Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 348
Yes, based on Toone's TNP profile.

This one isn't mine. I got the pics from Mike's gallery.

Check the link on my last post to see my build. Mine's not chambered though. Next one 
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deed_Poll View Post
^ I agree. Though I've never actually played one, and in my experience (as somebody who never even plays a 7 string guitar) the multi-scale many-stringed guitars tend to be played mostly in classical position as they have quite wide, flat necks. My favorite multi-scale guitar is the Rick Toone Blur 8-string:

I really like the 'gunstock' style arm support and the knob that sits on the side of the body. I can also imagine the shape of the leg cutaway sitting the guitar naturally with the neck facing at an ergonomic angle.
Pretty sure one of these pops up in a Tosin Abasi rig run down. Pretty cool to have "negative" frets!
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,965
I can barely get my brain and hands around six strings 
__________________
"Guitar amps sound best right before they blow up"
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM
Silver Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 348
I didn't even notice that.

What's that all about?

Is that nut material spanning across the two bass strings at the "open" position?
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Effren View Post
I didn't even notice that.

What's that all about?

Is that nut material spanning across the two bass strings at the "open" position?
Yeah, it lets him have the two lower strings that he can capo. Basically, it lets him have open DAEADGBE, or capo'd as EBEADGBE. I've seen him explain that in a video. It lets you have a tighter tension on the low strings and a more natural scale/tuning for the normal six strings, if that makes any sense.

-Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM
s2y s2y is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Caught somewhere in time
Posts: 2,501
It would definitely help with drop tunings. My gripe with most guys who drop tune is that the strings simply don't sound that good. This would definitely solve that particular problem.

Kubicki did that with his basses. They were 32" scale with an extended E string that made for a wonderful dropped D.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Effren View Post
Yes, based on Toone's TNP profile.

This one isn't mine. I got the pics from Mike's gallery.

Check the link on my last post to see my build. Mine's not chambered though. Next one 
You can get the Strandberg EndurNeck profile on the Xen and a few others I believe, which I believe evolved in part from Toone's trapezoidal neck.

http://guitarworks.thestrandbergs.co...the-endurneck/

I'm thinking of getting it as an option on whichever Xen I inevitably get.

I think it is cool these innovations are being made and evolving. I think it is pretty exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
It would definitely help with drop tunings. My gripe with most guys who drop tune is that the strings simply don't sound that good. This would definitely solve that particular problem.

Kubicki did that with his basses. They were 32" scale with an extended E string that made for a wonderful dropped D.
You can also use EBEADGBE or DADGCFAD tuning and capo the six higher strings at the second fret and kind of accomplish the same thing, more or less.

-Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old Today, 05:28 AM
Silver Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 348
So, it's basically a partial multi-scale? All the benefits of longer scale on the strings where it really matters. Cool approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halowords View Post
Yeah, it lets him have the two lower strings that he can capo. Basically, it lets him have open DAEADGBE, or capo'd as EBEADGBE. I've seen him explain that in a video. It lets you have a tighter tension on the low strings and a more natural scale/tuning for the normal six strings, if that makes any sense.

-Cheers
Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOODLUCK NIGERIA ! Daily

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT in my DAILY NEWSPAPER check it out HERE.